Thursday, May 25, 2006

May 12-19 (erin)

My supervisor and colleagues were in Kampala on a business trip all week so I was given a plan for my week. Monday I wrote my report but couldn't type it cuz no power. Tuesday, Carli and I were supposed to go on outreach with the Community Health Team to Rakai district where the first incidence of AIDS was diagnosed. After waiting for 2 hours though, we asked when we'd be going and they said they are still waiting for the doctor to come and he might not come at all. So it was suggested we come back another day. So we picked up Jen and went to Nyendo market. It is the town just outside of Masaka and their market day is much bigger than ours. It was huge! Lots of fun. We got lots of good deals on clothes and cloths. We didn't even have time to shop in the food part. We managed to cram 8 people in our taxi!! I don't know how the driver drove with three other people in the front!

On Wednesday, Carli and I did research for our first big teaching session at the vocational school for young adults with disabilities. She was sent home from Uganda Cares b/c her blood smear still showed she had malaria even though she felt fine. So I was lucky to have her with me because I did not want to do this alone. We decided to talk about self esteem. Well, I was already nervous for my first teaching experience, but it was worse when the whole school was rounded up...about 50 people!! Overall it went well, but it was a bit confusing because we had a Luganda translator and a sign language translator. They seemed to enjoy it though and asked us to come back everyday. My dog friend, Bonzo was even there to lend support...yes people, there is a dog here that follows me around and I have to admit I don't mind...only in Africa would I befriend a stinky dirty canine.

On Thursday, the four of us met with a probation officer which is someone who handles adoptions, not convicts. We just asked questions about adoption processes and what happens with abandoned children because Chandra has one as one of her cases at the hospital. It was interesting. I find it funny that every place I visit, whether it's a school, health clinic, or county office, they have a visitor's book that we fill out...even the locals fill them out, not just us from out of town (or country).

I had my first night out by myself that night as well. A colleague took me out for a soda at a local "joint". That was nice, you get less stared at when you are with a local person. Also, I got to ride my first motorcycle...and don't tell Mom, but I wasn't wearing a helmet! Don't worry, it was just down the street :) While I was away the girls had an opportunity to try grasshoppers and sugar cane. Only Carli, the vegetarian tried the bugs though! (ironic???)

On Friday I visited the Physiotherapy clinic and saw a 5 month old twin girl get treatment for cerebral palsy (seems to be a lot of twins here). She was very cute. The best thing that came out of that was that her mother at first did not blieve that the girl's sight was good but when I was playing with her hand, my bracelet caught her attention and it was enough to convince her that her sight was ok. Yah, I finally helped!! I also visited the orthopedic lab and was introduced to a boy with a misformed foot. I was told to interview him...well okay, that was a bit awkward. Luckily, a co-worker, Joseph, translated for me and he asked a lot of good questions. I told him he should be a counsellor. He's very helpful.

Friday night, I finally got to go dancing at the Tropic Inn. I had another bad headache but I refused to miss another night out! So I forced my body to cooperate and had a great time. The club is different here because guys and girls both dance, maybe even more so the men. And people just dance with whoever and there's no competition among the women to look the best and among the men to act macho. It's really fun.

On Saturday, our friend and Luganda teacher, Fred, introduced us to a nurse at the hospital that Chandra's been working with, Sister Prossy. She showed us around the hospital staff living quarters. You would never believe what nurses and accountants and medical assistants live in. They are basically little round tin huts. Unbelievable. You can imagine how little they are getting paid if they live in places like that. Our nurses and doctors should take a visit to Africa to realize how good they have it! We also met a 15 year old boy Vincent who is living by himself since his parents died. He has been working hard to keep everything going and support himself but because it's hospital land, he may be kicked out any time. He says he is even scared of his house at nighttime, very sad story. But he was all smiles for us and was looking forward to a better future. After that we went to the manager of a local bank's house. Much different lifestyle. It was an apartment above the bank and so big compared to anything we had seen so far. They were a very nice couple, and except for the baby peeing on me, it was a nice visit. Please answer this...why would they not put a diaper on their baby, I'd really like to know??

I was just warned by the internet staff that they power will be going out soon so I'd better save my work. To be continued...

PS. Congrats to Helen and baby Denae from all of us!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone!

It's great to catch up on your adventures -- thanks for all of the detailed messages.

Grasshoppers and steak! Some of you are getting really adventureous!!

Seriously though, it sounds as if you are all doing very well. Hang in there!

Bye for now,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin Davis Monkey Face...
I am telling Spirit about the dog! Wish I could be there shopping for fun clothes and bracelets instead of here where my clinic is being delayed by about 2 weeks and I can't even treat the few patients I have booked...Glad you are helping! You will never want to come back to us!
Agent Smith