Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 4 – Practicum Day 1 - Thursday

Well our first day at practicum. Excited? Yes of course I am! Nervous? You freakin believe it, it's not like I have ANY idea what I will be doing. My supervisor is in Ethiopia doing a conference of some sort.
We walk to Hospital drop Carli off at her site (brand new building I might add!) Then the rest of us walk to the Hospital Administration Building were I meet up with Sister Namanda (my supervisor for the day) and Lawrence sends me off with her. So much for walking me down to my site! Thanks a lot Lawrence, at least you deliver everyone else!

As some of you know how shy I can be, well we walked pretty much ALL the way to Ward 14 (Mental Health) without say much at all!

Sister Namanda – call nurses sisters
First day sat and waited to get started - sister had to write up a referral form for a lady that liked to dance around naked and embarrass her children. What I learned right of the bat today is that in Uganda they still have designated mental hospitals kind of like Riverview in British Columbia. Although I am sure Riverview even at it's worst was never like the one in Kampala. As this lady from Canada was describing it you would think it was something out of a fiction book. People tied to their chairs or beds, medicated to the point of nearly comatose. Now I have never been to this place and by the sounds of it I don’t even want to. I just try to believe this place is understaffed and those that do work there are most definitely underpaid and they are doing everything they can just to keep these people from doing harm to themselves. Just ask yourself, what would you do?

Sat listened to sister talk lugandan – out of nowhere she says ok u can counsel this one! :O

After one hour of sitting listening to people speak Lugandan, which could have been some alien language saying lord knows what about me and all I can do is sit there and wait for the minutes to pass. :O finally it's 3pm time to go! Great timing too since they started to talk about politics. Something I do not wish to get into especially here in Uganda!

Asked Sister Namanda if she wanted to meet me at Ward 14 - Yes

Erin was asked today if she believed in God. Well after they were in shock they gave her the bible to read! That’s how Lawrence and Chandra found her when they came to get her for lunch! I wonder what Erin learned?

No comments: