Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 5 – Friday

Day 2 at practicum 9 AM sharp! Ummm do you know what African time is! Well let me try to explain it….. 9 AM can mean 9:30….. 10:30 I waited there for Sister Namanda! No I was not the only one there waiting for her.

I asked one of the guys that work in the pharmacy part if they knew where she was and he said he would go look for her. Well about 30 minutes later he came back. Well he didn’t actually come back to the building to fill me in on whatever he found out. Instead he asked a yard man to bring his smock back and get his jacket. I noticed this man give the pharmacy guy his jacket and then he LEFT! Yep, left me sitting there in a room with a couple others waiting……waiting for this Sister Namanda!

Off to Uganda Cares for children’s day … play with toys that carli brought
Played with cars & blocks with erin and children
Held one child ….. so lethargic….. didn’t really move at all sat showed him how to push the car
One little guy didn’t want to come near me…. Muuzungo
Children were given lunch which consisted of piece of bread, banana, posha (water & flour type mixture)
Then played toss the blocks
Chandra came to visit us … shortly after Lawrence did too We all sat there tossing the ball of blocks around! Even Lawrence played with them. It's nice to see him in a different atmosphere. He smiles too!

Finally it was our lunch time the children were sad to see us go. Normally they would have nothing to play with ,only a handful of blocks that would be distributed to nearly 50 children.
They hugged & kissed us and followed us out to the gate. I know it was not very long for me to sit and play with them but I know this is something they will talk about for quite some time. Not because it was ME but because a Muuzungo (white person) would play with them even tho they were very sick

After a long lunch I went back to Ward 14 and to my surprise there was only one lady there. She was in her traditional clothes, o oooh no uniform! I learned that they are having some staffing problems at the hospital. Trying to justify who is working. She was trying to get advice on how to bring her son in so they could assess him and find out what mental illness he has.

Erin came with me…. To watch me counsel! Oh a client that speaks English! Or so I thought! This was a teenage boy that has epilepsy that knew very little English! It was difficult to counsel him as I am not only a Muzungu (white person) I am a female! A cute one too (yes I’m talking about ME!)! Lol Well anyway, I tried my best to just talk to him and make him feel comfortable even though there was a translator there! I had no idea you could make an African blush soooo much!

Thankfully we learned that Monday is a holiday here in Uganda!

First Luganda lesson from Fred a nursing student! I hope he knows what he has gotten himself into! I can not even remember French from school!

No comments: