Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 3 - Wednesday

Well I have just realized that I have not even described our home away from home! Lets start with Lawrence (our supervisor from Douglas College for those of you who do not know) he is staying in a hotel (The Brovad Hotel), WITH power, but I am happy to report his room is much smaller than mine ☺ and the poor guy has to sleep in a single bed (oh he is over six feet tall, can you picture it now!) The hotel looks a little like the one in the movie Hotel Rwanda. There is a link on the blog if you would like to see what it looks like. Ok enough about Lawrence! Time to move on to us!

We are staying across the street from the Brovad Hotel in what one may call co-op living. Three different family’s sharing only one kitchen. The four of us are in one section that has two bedrooms and each room has it's own bathroom. Oh yes they are bigger than Lawrence’s room! We all have mosquito nets over our beds, which is kinda neat but I am sure I will get tired of it soon! It is difficult to get up in the middle of the night. But they are very necessary to keep those blood sucking mosquito’s out of my personal space! The unfortunate part of this is that two beds would not fit in the smaller room. Which means someone has to sleep all by them self! Yes well it was I that was the lucky one. I sleep in my own room and the other’s share. This is probably a good thing since I am the one up the latest making noise on my computer (well on the days we have power!) Well enough about that! If you want to know more about our Home away from HOME just ask!

As you can see this is our third day here and were to start our practicum. Well after the tour of the hospital, the realization we had NO TP and of course not being able to shake the jet lag we had a talk with Lawrence who was rather understanding. A big thanks to Lawrence! So today was get organized, rest and try to catch up on our sleep day!

So we wake up mid morning and go into town and exchange money into Ugandan Shillings! That was certainly an experience standing in the line of the bank. I am very happy that our banks at home have many tellers that are happy to see & help you. Well that has been my experience at home.

We shopped to our hearts content! For those of you that know what this little town has to offer might just smile after that comment! You see there is NOTHING you really want to buy in this little place. But never the less we were able to buy some necessities and go home happy & rest up for our first day of practicum.

One thing that I think we all agree on is that the students for next year better get at least a week before starting their practicum. Even if it seems like they can start their second day in Africa I wouldn’t let them. Allow them some time to get use to things. It is different than being at home.

Well I think this will come to a close today since I have nothing more to report at this time.

Take care of each other!

No comments: