Sunday, April 09, 2006

Two weeks before leaving....

Well, only two weeks, less a day, before we leave. I don't want to speak for the others. I'm not nervous...I JUST CAN'T SLEEP!

Wow! The time is here for me to be getting things in order and starting to pack! Yeah riiiight! YIKKES!!!

I am just telling myself this is something I am going to do, not because I have to but because I feel drawn too. I am not afraid, more excited about what this will bring to the heart. Not just mine but theirs as well.

This time in Africa I will be seeing even more than I could ever imagine, as I am lucky enough to be working within the mental health industry. Schizophrenia Fellowship of Uganda, is the name of the organization I will be doing my practicum. Within this practicum I will have the opportunity to work the interconnected realities of HIV and AIDS (i.e. drug use, sex/sexuality, mental health, violence/abuse, grief/loss, discrimination, marginalization, ...).

My personal focus remains in HIV/AIDS with a specific interest on the psycho-social impacts this has to the family and children. At times this may be a painful journey, even overwhelming, and certainly frustrating. But I know from my previous journey it will also be a great privilege and honour to 'walk with' the many, many Zambians who have invited me into their lives to witness their daily struggles. This blog has been set up so you will be able to follow the journey and provide a window into our lives, inform you of the situation 'on the ground' here and for some, move you to action, whatever that might be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen

Great idea of the blog. Tell me if this shows up. The trip will certainly be great for you and the others and I hope for those that you meet in Masaka

John

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

One day before you leave, wow. Have a great trip! It will certainly be a trip of a lifetime! I'm sure you will touch many lives while you are there and it will be an experience you'll never forget! Be safe! Take lots of pictures! Bye Jen.

Tammy

Anonymous said...

hi Jen, thanks 4 sending me the blog.Sounds like a challenge! I'm praying 4 u. Hear u got your hair cut. Wish i had a picture. Take care. Love, Sharon